Saturday 20 April 2013

Custard Creams

Back to the family baking session again, although this time not quite as simple as Rice Krispie cakes! My son, as fussy an eater as he is, has a massive thing for Custard Creams. I wish he would ask for normal meals as much as he does for Custard Creams! We have made these a few times before, he just asked me yesterday when we could bake some more, so while he is over for the weekend and we have full urn of the kitchen, I thought why not?!

I was surprised at how simple these are to make. I always though that the custard flavouring was in the cream itself, however it turn out that it goes into the biscuit itself, with the filling a simple buttercream icing. Click here for the recipe (taken from BBC Good Food Website.

The good thing about this recipe, its simple biscuit dough with custard powder added. Easy for the kids to get involved with and get their hands a bit messy!


Across the last couple of years, ive picked up endless amounts of cookie cutters in all shapes, sizes, letters, numbers, etc. so he is a bit spoiled for choice when it comes to the shapes. He wanted a train for definite though, so we had to make a train one (three times the size of the others!) You could use cutters, moulds, or shape them yourself, the only limit is your imagination as the dough is very easy to work with. Below is what we came up with, the only limit is your imagination!

 
And yes, you do see a witch covered in sprinkles on that plate, we didn't have enough dough for two witches to sandwich together, so we spread buttercream over the one piece we had and covered it in sprinkles, bit of a unique twist and still tasted like a Custard Cream (my partner ended up with that one, she sweet-talked the little guy into handing it over!)

Hopefully Ill have another update very soon. My partners just finished baking a sausage and butter-bean bake, which I MAY ask if I can claim as my own for the blog (I did help prepare the ingredients, just was too busy on bedtime duty and updating the blog)

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment